Saturday, March 7, 2015

To The Market - Fri Feb 20th

So I learned today where in the world I actually am at this hour. I'm in the northeast side of Kampala or just on the outskirts of the city in a small town called Namugongo.  We were taken to the Craft Market today and it was really such a beautiful drive through Kampala. Beautiful because the city is surrounded by rolling hills that remind me of where I grew up in Taylor Mill, Kentucky.  The greenery is thick and lucious (we are right near the equator!) but your eyes are drawn to extreme poverty everywhere. You do have many office buildings and such around a normal city but where there might be a nice office building, but around the corner are groupings of poverty. I did see a KFC today but mostly just local establishments in the area (didn't see McDonalds or ChickFillet!)



I think the most noticeable thing I see is POLICE GUARDS with AK-47s everywhere!!!!  You are searched going into churches, grocery stores, any shopping area.   Purses, bags are searched and they have body scanners constantly on the look out for bombs.  They are very concerned about ISIS in Nigeria here.  Some of the locals say that the local police take their job too seriously (i.e., Patti and I were pulled out of the van and told we were going to be searched at a parking area for lunch and Godfrey our "protector" and "friend" was shaking his head like "really" these two white women who look half dead because of the extreme heat!   The guard kept talking and I really couldn't understand him as we were standing outside the van! and I think he got frustrated with me and just said "forget it...get back in the van and go!!"
KFC - Home Sweet Home!
Lunch at Cafe Java - We look a little rough but we can do this!
Movie Night with the Kids!


We enjoyed our time out at the market and thankful that Godfrey was there to negotiate appropriate prices for us.   We also enjoyed a nice late lunch at Cafe Java but unfortunately that food hasn't been agreeing with me tonight so I've taken a little 2 hour siesta and now feel up to returning downstairs for the movie night with the kids.  (appreciate some prayers for continuing to feel well).

No comments:

Post a Comment