Saturday, March 7, 2015

Baptized by Ugandan Water and Submerged in Ugandan Love - Wed Feb 25

It's Wednesday morning.  We leave later today.  Our last night was marked by a campfire where each of the kids and adults who wanted to say something to us was given the opportunity.  It was a tearful night but sadness didn’t rule this party.  As a tradition when a volunteer is leaving, they are completely drenched with buckets of cold water.  Fortunately for us, there is no ice in most Ugandan homes!  The kids were dancing and screaming (and Patti, Kyle and I were also screaming).  The night ended with Ugandan smores by the campfire; just a slightly different version of ours!   The water may have been cold but the warm love that has been given and received here transcended cultural and language differences and for me was a reflection of God’s unconditional love for each of us.               
Baptized by Ugandan Water (very cold!)


                            
Uganda, Pearl of Africa, you are such a contradiction to me.  Your lush green landscapes with such a variety of fresh fruits make me think you are a rich land.  I cannot properly process your endless groupings of poverty-ridden districts.  Your overrun of orphans is disturbing to my soul but places like Rafiki and Sanyu Babies home and many others ministries here make me realize that God is the father to these fatherless and has placed it in the hearts of many to love and cherish these sweet precious ones.  Your people are in great need of basic infrastructure.  Things like water, electricity, shelter and food we believe are just basic rights as humans and yet most in your country struggle to have one or more of these basic necessities.  Your people are content, which shames me because of all my “things” that I sometimes forget are just “things” and are not essential.  Your children are strong, lovely and represent the next generation of great leaders for you and I am honored that I have witnessed some of the finest, smartest, kindest and bravest little ones who will be the catalytic for change in your country.  I am humbly reminded during this visit to your precious country, To Whom Much is Given, Much is Required.  Uganda, you have forever changed me and I look forward to the day I return to experience such richness again in a very poor land. 
Cocus with Soccer Ball!

Hadid, Cocus and Fasiya With Soccer Ball

Dearest friends, thanks for following along our daily experiences in Uganda.  Your notes have encouraged my heart.  Your prayers have sustained all of us and we thank God that in some way, this trip caused you to look to Him as you prayed for us.   I sat out under the moon last night and still can’t believe that I was privileged enough to take this journey and spend these days here in this country with these people.  Two nights from now I’ll be possibly sitting watching the moon from Waxhaw, NC and will know how to pray better and how to love my new friends in Uganda.    I will be back, Lord willing.
Love, Patty
11:30 pm Enteppe to Amsterdam Delta 9318 arriving 6:05 am (Amsterdam Time)
8:40 am Amsterdam to Detroit Delta 133 arriving 11:35 am (Detroit TIme)
1:50 pm Detroit to HOME!!! Delta 1330 arriving 3:40 PM!!!
Our gift to the Founders of Rafiki, Joseph and Sara

A Portrait of their Children painted by artist David Gage

No comments:

Post a Comment