Saturday, March 7, 2015

The "Big House" in Buwooya - Night and Day, Wed Feb 18





Big House in Buwooya
It was night time when we returned from the Nile to the "Big House" in Buwooya.  Another adventure was before us.  Although we had no electricity and no running water, Kyle had purchased a generator and getting it going was top priority.   Let me add here that we spent about an hour in the "sitting room" sharing stories of God's grace and goodness. I felt like we "initiated" the room and could envision that many great conversations with neighbors and friends would occur sharing God's faithfulness in many different lives.   Kyle had purchased some furniture and bunk beds, so we were set with some where to sleep; however, one of the beds needed to be moved upstairs and that turned out to be an exercise of twisting and turning the bed until we decided that the best way to get it through the small bedroom door would be to saw off the four wooden posters!
We knew we were going to accomplish this!
Give Auntie Patti One a Saw and She'll work till it was done!
We were so proud that we sawed it off and finally the bed fit through the doorway!
About 1:30 am I was still awake and I heard "babbling" outside below our bedroom window as if the guard man was speaking to several people.  Moses ended up going outside and the poor guard was a little tipsy just outside our window babbling away to no one.  I think Moses must have explained that he was scaring us white women inside and he would need to go inside his little place.  Patti and I woke up early the next morning and Kyle and Moses wanted to sleep in a little.  We fixed our cold instant coffee and sat outside on the upper balcony and waved at the school children and neighbors walking by. I am sure there was much curiosity as to "who was in the BIG HOUSE" in the village.  Some people waved, some people hesitated and some people ran by quickly.   I learned a hard lesson that morning.  Everyone hard warned me that when I wave, I tend to bend my fingers forward as if saying "Bye Bye."  In Uganda, that gesture means COME.  As Patti and I were waving to the villagers, suddenly a man walked forward towards us from the road.  He stood at the tree just below us and Patti felt like he was trying to "make a move!"  He said, I WANT TO TALK TO YOU!  I shrugged my shoulders like I didn't understand and he put his hand towards his ear like he was going to talk on a phone and said "I WANT TO TALK TO YOU!"  - I knew then rather than waving at him from the balcony, I had accidently made the motion to "COME!"  I just kept shrugging my shoulders like I didn't know what he was saying and he got frustrated with me and soon enough walked away.  We saw him a little while later walking by with a small boy and a cow!  And by the way, when a man asked a woman to marry him in Uganda, he must present her family with a COW!  I was hoping he wasn't returning with a cow for my family!!  Our morning was precious as we anticipated God doing a great work in this village and maybe that would start with the BIG HOUSE and the love shown in the months and years to come by Moses and Kyle and others who would come to help.





An Ugandan Ladder!
Our Morning View from the Balcony Watching the Villagers Walk By
Only Moses would be brave enough to climb it to put a light bulb in the socket.  The generator worked great!  Until we felt sick from the fumes!         







No comments:

Post a Comment