Saturday, March 7, 2015

THe Special People of Rafiki - Thurs Feb 19

Cocus!

Cocus!
Godfrey our Friend!
It's been an extremely hot day but nothing can melt away the precious moments spent with these kids and staff.  Maybe it's because I'm now on the other side knowing that in 6 short days I'll be leaving, so I savor every moment with them.  Patti and I spent the entire day working here - would you let me describe some of the precious little ones and staff that are unforgettable and a few of the duties.  We hang wash to dry.

I am so drawn to Cocus; I'm not suppose to have favorites and I love on them on but Cocus is just my favorite.  He's about 8 years old (one of the older boys here) and he has an enormous hump on his back and another smaller one on his chest, due to tuberculosis that settled in his spine and that will affect his growth and only get worse as he heads to adulthood.  His parents decided that they didn't want him a couple of years ago.  He was already very sickly as a baby and now the disease was too much for them so he's here at Rafiki blessing everyone who meets him.    I learned that Cocus father died of HIV and his mother possibly is HIV positive and a prostitute.  He had tuberculosis and it settled in his spine.   His little brother Edwin arrived here a month ago of severe neglect also.  He's loving and kind and smart and loves basketball and by the way, him and I won a water balloon contest and he's trying very hard to beat me at Uno.  He would be considered a cast-away in society, no good, useless but I have to believe that God has favorites too (sorry you theologians) and Cocus is one of those.  Cocus is precious in His sight.   Cocus is a picture of all of us and God's unconditional love for us.   Makes my morning when he comes for a hug...I walk him to school, hand and hand and then he's back doing chores, working hard here and then we have fun, games, crafts and EVERY NIGHT ends with everyone giving each other a goodnight hug.  Sort of reminds me of the Walton's show "Good-Night John Boy"...except it's done through hugs and we tell the kids they are loved. Then we hang wash to dry :)

Let me say in earlier emails that I have referred to Moses as the one who drives us.  Moses is so much more than that as you have read earlier, he started a school in his village.  Moses is a brother in the Lord, wise beyond his 25 years and now having him as a friend is a great privilege.  Both Moses and his brother Godfrey are fathers to these children.  They discipline, They love, They play basketball, They tease the kids.  Their roles are huge.  Godfrey is a great dancer and has entertained us with his skills!  Godfrey also has sacrificed his FAN for these two hot white women!  It was truly a life saver.  Godfrey took Patti and I to the craft market and laughed when the policeman with his AK-47 wanted to search us!  We looked half dead because of the heat and I don't think we fit the description of terrorists (but glad they take that serious around here!).

Mama Monica (the cook) and the babies watching the videos!

We LOVED Mama Monica. We did NOT speak her language 
 but love translates into any language!

We are coming up to the busiest time here. the kids just got home from school and we start helping with homework, snack time and then have a craft time for them. Our job is to keep them somewhat occupied between now and dinner around 6:30. It's really really roudy here in the afternoon. Typical kids glad to be out of school. I can't tell you enough how much they have enjoyed the video capability of the little camera and this computer. It's the highlight of the day to make videos and then play them back. In fact, the cook who lives here is Monica. She's probably my age or younger, speaks NO english and we love her and she came tapping on my shoulder while the babies were napping and one of the other children interpeted that she wanted to make a video (this lady is VERY SHY)....so the child played the drums and she did a little african dance and she was so proud of herself. We will play it tonight for the kids and her. I don't think she's ever seen herself on video.  (SEE VIDEO BELOW!!!)  She has about 5 children in another village far away and this job helps support her kids. Other relatives take care of her children while she lives here. She loves Patti and me and I think because we are around her age and I think she's use to have younger workers here. I've been washing all the dishes for her at night with one of the other kids. She stays in the kitchen ALL DAY. You can imagine, now with 15 kids and at least 7 adults, she fixes the most wonderful meals. No meat usually. Just all fresh vegetables such as for lunch we had collard greens, cooked pumpkin, fresh avocado, sweet potatoes. The food sits covered all day long on the counter and will be put out again tonight for dinner!!!! so far so good....I've eatten EVERYTHING including mango, jack fruit, pineapple (anything that can be pealed!).....

We have worked hard today. The heat has returned with a vengance and Patti and I have done loads and loads of wash and hanging to dry and folding to dry. We are so glad though to help the workers and they are too.

No comments:

Post a Comment